Thursday, April 12, 2012

Why is Georgia's gas MORE expensive??

Someone correct me if I%26#39;m wrong, but I thought Georgia%26#39;s gas taxes were among the lowest in the country. Somewhere around 7 cents a gallon, as opposed to Tennessee%26#39;s 21 cents, which is closer to the national average.





It used to be on my trips south that I%26#39;d wait to get to Georgia before filling up, since gas was comparatively cheaper there due to lower state taxes. However, on 4/20, I traveled from TN, east on I-40, east on I-26 thru NC and SC, then south on I-95 all the way to the Florida border... and the gas when we filled up in Georgia actually cost MORE than the other states . I took the same route to get home on 4/24, and noticed then that only NC%26#39;s was a few pennies higher (as it very well should be since they have a high gas tax.)





Has anyone else noticed this? Is Georgia%26#39;s gas marked up so much higher only along the interstates to catch all of the migrating snowbirds? Or is it statewide price-gouging on the part of the gas stations? Or something else? If I were a Georgia resident, I would be seriously bothered by this!







Why is Georgia's gas MORE expensive??


I filled up my car today for 2.79 for the cheapest gas at a Kangaroo staion in North Georgia. It was at a station near an I-75 exit. Currently, there is a gas thread in the Tennesse forum that states that gas was 2.95 in Kentucky. Since you don%26#39;t say how much you paid for gas it is hard to know what you mean.



I do notice that gas sometimes is much more near the interstates but can be cheaper if you drive closer into the towns along the interstates.



I like to consult gasbuddy.com to see where you can find the cheapest gas prices.



Why is Georgia's gas MORE expensive??


Reina, when we left TN we paid $2.78. That same day in Georgia, I was seeing a consistent $2.85+. The price you paid is about similar to what our prices are running now as well.





I%26#39;m not complaining about high prices in general. What I don%26#39;t get is why Georgia%26#39;s gas has such a low tax but similar or higher prices to what I pay in TN. Georgia%26#39;s used to be significantly lower in comparison.




It is a mystery isn%26#39;t it? The gas companies seem to have us between a rock and a hard place.




There are sometime local option sales taxes added on too. I think the total tax bite in my area for state and local is about 16 cents.



Also, some companies are supplied by railroad and truck tankers from western refiners and others are supplied from gas shipped in through the Ga. Ports. The gas coming in the Ports cost more. At least that%26#39;s what they have been telling the coastal areas for years to explain why it%26#39;s cheaper in Atlanta than it is in Savannah.




nad naive little ole me thought it was the yardley lavendar soap in the rest rooms....just imagine what it would cost if there was still such a thing as full service? get the windshield and check the oil and water please.




Bbqman, you crack me up! Being a man and all, I%26#39;m surprised you even noticed yardley soap!





Thanks, Aileen. What you said does make sense, although the expense of coming thru the ports sounds a little fishy to me, too.




I thought Aileen%26#39;s explanatin made sense too.



Bbqman



What soap? Do gas stations have soap? They certainly don%26#39;t have paper towels since they save money with those hand dryers. They must be having to save money since they are not making much profit on the sale of gas. (She says with tongue in cheek.)




You mention the stations profit levels....seems they aren%26#39;t much....not copmpared to the actual Oil co%26#39;s. I saw a post from a station owner who%26#39;s profit was about a dime a gallon and nearly 5 cents of that went to credit card transaction fees....giving them about a nicle a gallon profit. Kinda sad really. One drive off%26lt;20 gallon loss%26gt; would mean they have to sell approx 1200 gallons to make up for the theft.




I used to work for a bookkeeping service that handled a lot of owner-operated stations. They didn%26#39;t make squat!! The owner that worked 7 days a week and hired the bottom of the barrel help, could get by, but the others made their money on doing minor repairs and having a tow truck. They couldn%26#39;t compete with the Oil company owned ones. That%26#39;s why you see so few of them now. And a lot of the ones that are still owner-operated are often owned by people who have come to the USA from countries that are used to working long hard hours.




Here%26#39;s a great website to find the cheapest gas prices. Just type in your zip code and it finds the cheapest gas. Also, I found that the big warehouse companies (Sam%26#39;s, Costco %26amp; B.J.s) have better prices on their gas.



autos.msn.com/everyday/gasstations.aspx…

No comments:

Post a Comment