Thursday, April 12, 2012

Cheap Savannah Dining

So, I do plan on visiting Paula Dean%26#39;s place, and I know it%26#39;s not cheap, but looking for suggestions on where the locals eat?



I don%26#39;t like anything too fancy, and prefer soda with my meal rather than wine.





Not too big on seafood, but other than that I have no restrictions.





Any tips on where to get some real food without paying an arm and a leg?





I%26#39;d really like to try something that is very specific to Savannah



Cheap Savannah Dining


I really enjoyed the Crystal Beer Palace. Despite the name, it%26#39;s a family place with a lot of character.



Cheap Savannah Dining


What type of food do they serve?




Angel%26#39;s BBQ is a personal favorite. Mom and pop place with interesting sides and great BBQ. In the lane south of Oglethorpe between Bull and Whitaker.





Wahls BBQ is prettty good too, also small and local.





Cosentino%26#39;s is an italian place on MLK locally owned and very good.





Pizza by the slice at Vinnie van go go%26#39;s in city market is a local favorite, quite good and inexpensive.





Thai and Vietnamese at Saigon on Broughton is outstanding.




Crystal Beer Parlor is a hamburger joint, bbbradk.





Now perhaps I%26#39;m all washed up, but if ever there was a tourist trap, I considered Pirate%26#39;s House to be that and the food terrible. The 45 South portion is not, in fact their food is excellent, but that is high end and expensive dining. The building itself is old and has lots of charm, but I would not eat there. JMHO





Agree on Vinnie Van Go Gos...cheap and good.





And Mrs Wilkes, although that caters to tourists it is also well populated by locals. I loved that place for good down home southern cooking and consider that far more original to Savannah than Lady and Sons...a new comer. :%26gt; They are only open weekdays, breakfast and lunch and if you go for lunch, that will be the only meal you%26#39;ll need all day. You won%26#39;t find a glass of wine on the premises but there will be plenty of tea and family style meal. Mrs Wilkes even used to say grace before the meal, but she is gone and I imagine that has changed. At the end of the meal, you get to take your plates to the kitchen even...it is just like home. ;%26gt;





I felt Garibaldis was reasonable and good too. Shrimp Factory was OK, reasonable, but there wasn%26#39;t much on the river we liked. Oh...Olympia Cafe on the river was good and reasonable. Greek food.




Thank you very much for all the tips, I wont be in Savannah for the weekend, so sadly I%26#39;ll miss the buffet at the Pirate House, but I will stop there for a meal for sure.





I had read of Mrs. Wilkes too, and I do hope to have a meal there as well.





I%26#39;ll be printing this page and bringing it with me





Again, thank you




I have been to almost all of the recommended places, thanks so much!!!!





Really really loved Mrs Wilkes!!!





Going to try and get to crystal beer palace when I get back into savannah tomorrow




never did get to the Crystal beer palace, but really enjoyed Mrs. Wilkes, the Pirate House, Lady and Sons, and Vinnie Van Go Go%26#39;s





Thanks so much for all the tips

No comments:

Post a Comment