Thursday, April 12, 2012

How to use Priceline/Hotwire for specific hotel...

I read under descriptions for the Intercontinental Atlanta that some people were able to get a very good rate at this hotel through Priceline and Hotwire. When going to these sites, it does not appear that you can request a specific property. My question is, how were you able to reserve at this property for a low rate?



Thanks!



How to use Priceline/Hotwire for specific hotel...


The reason Priceline and Hotwire are so cheap is that you can%26#39;t request a particular hotel. You specify a neighborhood and a star rating and then you take the hotel with whom they negotiate the best deal. On Hotwire, the site shows hotel amenities so in some circumstances if a hotel has a unique combination of amenities you can predict what hotel it is referencing. FOr example, I love the WEstin in Savannah so I always book that on Hotwire because it%26#39;s the only hotel with a spa, a golf course, and a water taxi. In Atlanta, though, I am not aware of any hotel having such distinguishing characteristics. You can go on biddingfortravel.com to see what hotels people got for what prices, and that make help you predict what hotels you%26#39;re likely to get, but there is no way to specify the particular hotel you want.





The best rates on hotels are generally through the hotel websites, but I also check Expedia, hotels.com, Orbitz, and Travelocity to compare quotes. You certainly get better service from the hotel if you book it through the hotel directly.



How to use Priceline/Hotwire for specific hotel...


I booked our hotel off Hotwire for our weekend trip a couple of weeks ago. I chose a 3.5 star in Downtown Atlanta at $58 a night, we ended up with the Hyatt on Peachtree, which usually goes for aroung $150.




I always use Hotwire and have never had a bad experience. In fact, I%26#39;ve stayed at some really great places as freakae points out. My best was the Waldorf Astoria in Manahattan for $115. When my husband hit the purchase button and it was the Waldorf he and I were whooping and hollaring. I thought I%26#39;d never be able to stay there. The room wasn%26#39;t the greatest since our view was of a brick wall but, who cares? I was in the Waldorf.



However, once you purchase the room you cannot get your money back.




hotwire rocks. We stayed at the Beverly Hills Hilton for a night or two, but the room was right next to some elavator shafts and we could hear the %26#39;ding%26#39; %26#39;ding%26#39; of the elavators pretty loud and clear.





Be sure to go to biddingfortravel, then bid a bit low. If you don%26#39;t get the room, you then should bid for really nice hotel in a part of town that has no really nice hotels. That 2nd bid will fail and then you%26#39;ll be able to re-bid back on the first zone you bid on. The 2nd bid lets you avoid having to wait 24 hours to re-bid on your original desired zone.




Clark Howard has some tips on bidding on priceline. Go to his website clarkhoward.com and put priceline in the search box.

No comments:

Post a Comment