Thursday, April 19, 2012

traffic

I%26#39;m looking to move to Atlanta in the summer. My question is how is the traffic south on I-75 from kennesaw at around 8:00-8:30am. My job is going to be located at the airport, if I get it. Also was looking at homes in lithonia. What%26#39;s I-20 like coming from Lithonia going to Atlanta at that same time.



traffic


I can%26#39;t imagine driving the commute on I-75 at that time of the morning. Not only would you be driving 50 miles each way, you would be driving on some of the most congested highways (either I-75 to I-85 or I-75 to I-285 to I-85) in the U.S.. There is a reason that Atlanta ranks up with L.A. with the longest commutes in the nation. Lithonia is closer, but once again, morning rush hour in Atlanta is horrible. Going home in the afternoon would be just as bad. Is there a specific reason that you chose these two locations or are you amenable to other places. I would recommend somewhere in Fayette County, like Peachtree City, where a great many airport workers live. It%26#39;s still about 20 miles, but you miss the worst of the traffic, as you don%26#39;t have to go through or around downtown. I myself commute from 60 miles north of the city on I-85, but I set my own hours and don%26#39;t leave home until 9 or 10 a.m. and don%26#39;t head home untill 8 or 9 p.m., so I miss the worst of the traffic.



traffic


forget it.




To be honest, both areas would become a bad dream in terms of a regular commute to the airport.





The traffic from Kennesaw on I-75 at that time of day is the height of rush hour. It%26#39;s awful until you hit I-285. Then your best bet would be to take 285 over to Camp Creek Parkway. That%26#39;s parts not so bad, but the getting there is killer. The only traffic that%26#39;s worse is driving from Alpharetta down 400 to get to Atlanta.





Lithonia isn%26#39;t much better. You have to drive through the Snellville sprawl to get to the interstate to get anywhere. I have a friend to lives over there and it is pretty bad. Fortunately, his job is not far from his home.





I agree with the other poster that you might look into Fayetteville/Peachtree City if you%26#39;re going to be working at the airport. Much easier commute, good schools and housing costs are not bad. True, some homes in PTC cost a fortune but the older ones are very affordable. You could even look at Douglasville (west of 285) if you wanted to be further out in the country.





To get a real feel for it, come down and spend some time and drive around. That%26#39;s the only way you can get a real feel for things. Or rent for the first year. That%26#39;s what we did.




The reason I%26#39;ve choose those two areas is because the two houses that interests me are in those areas, plus the airport job isn%26#39;t set in stone. There%26#39;s also a job in Roswell that looks more promising as of now. But as I read posts on this sight I think I first need to get a job, then find a house. Even if it means living in an area that I%26#39;m not to happy about. By the way what%26#39;s Duluth, Stone Mountain, and Decatur like.




';But as I read posts on this sight I think I first need to get a job, then find a house.';





I totally agree with you.




I highly recommend that you rent a house or condo/apt. for 3 to 6 months before you buy. You will hate this town if you have a long commute in conjested traffic. I live up in Roswell and have neighbors who commute down to the airport several times each week and don%26#39;t complain but I think they%26#39;re nuts. The housing market is terrific this time of year. A $600,000. house in Buckhead would be $450,000 up in Roswell or East Cobb or $375,000 out in Stone Mountain. You make the choice.




If your job is physically at the airport, the MARTA train from the North may be an option. You could look in the Sandy Springs/Roswell area and be at a MARTA station w/in a few minutes, save gas, wear/tear on the car.



I%26#39;m sure there are plenty of people out there who will say the train is not safe, however you and a bunch of other people will be on it at the same time and the dozens of times I have ridden it, no problems.



If you have to drive and are at the airport, I would agree with the above poster, Peachtree City would be a great spot.



Good luck.




The train is definitely considered safe for commuters taking MARTA during normal morning %26amp; evening commutes. I wouldn%26#39;t necessarily recommend wandering around some of the stations late at night.




You would be sitting in a parking lot every morning on I-75.




I moved more than twenty years ago away from Atlanta because I didn%26#39;t want to deal with the traffic. Visit there first and see how you deal with it would be my advice. My nerves can only take it in small doses.

No comments:

Post a Comment