Thursday, April 19, 2012

Dining in St. Marys

Hey, gang!





A group of us are heading down to camp on Cumberland Island next weekend. We%26#39;ve got our reservations made and since two of us have been there before, that%26#39;s all taken care of.





However, we%26#39;re spending Friday night in St. Mary%26#39;s before we take the ferry over to Cumberland on Saturday. Any recommendation on where to have dinner? Something fairly casual would do the job. I know nothing about the area so any advice is appreciated.





Thanks!





Dining in St. Marys


Oh Peahcy !!!!





Good for you!





I backpacked the entire island about 8 years ago! LOVED IT!!!





I am glad that you have chosen to go on into town the night before - good move!





Hubby and I just passed thru St. Mary%26#39;s a couple of weeks ago...(we were %26#39;sort of%26#39; in the area and I couldn%26#39;t pass up the opportunity to drive thru the old town...Man it had really grown in 8 years.)





Sorry, but I can%26#39;t really make any dining recommendations. It seems like we ate at a Cracker Barrel the evening before.





I did notice that there was a new cafe type restaurant right on the waterfront in St Marys... Directly across from the welcome/check in station for Cumberland...(Probably not ';new'; - but it wasn%26#39;t there before.) It looked really cool!





Have a GREAT time! That%26#39;s awesome!



Dining in St. Marys


Thanks, RN. We%26#39;re looking forward to it. I have never been before but we%26#39;ve been planning it for a long time.





The only cloud on the horizon is that my husband and I may be making an offer on a house today and if they accept, I%26#39;ll need to be around to sign papers, etc.





Thanks for the tip about the cafe! That sounds like a good, local place to try. I%26#39;m all about going to locally-owned restaurants.




we have had excellent fresh grouper at trolley%26#39;s seafood grill. the service was homey, appealing and friendly while being pleasant delivering exceptionally prepared and presented fresh fish. don%26#39;t miss it. my wife likes linen an i adore cold beer so we fell in love with this place in a hurry. come thirsty and bag a big appetite.




Hey, BBQ! Thanks for the advice on Trolley%26#39;s. What%26#39;s the dress code like? Two of us are heading down early and we%26#39;d like to have dinner. Can we show up in nice jeans/nice shirts, sneakers and not be laughed at? We%26#39;re trying to pack light.




best i can recall i didn%26#39;t have my white dinner jacket that visit so you should be okay. there may have been one of those no shirts no shoes no service signs but beyond that anythng casual will be fine. st marys reminded me of bluffton sc where everything is so slow paced and laid back anything goes. relax, have fun and enjoy, yall will be fine.




Peachyswan,



Two years ago there was an interesting saloon less than 1 block from the river. I think it was connected to the hotel next door. On a warm January the doors to the saloon were open with kitty cats running in and out. My husband and I stopped in there for a beer on a Sunday afternoon when we had driven down from SSI to visit the Southern Living open house. There was a female bartender who was ';quite a character';. Tube top with cut-off overalls on and lots of tattoos! She carried 2 Coronas out to the guys at the table next to us by stuffing them into the tube top between the two ';girls';. Made me glad that my husband and I had ordered 2 drafts that were served in mugs instead of bottled beer!




You%26#39;ll find several options on the waterfront in Saint Marys, including several that overlook the wharf. We ate dinner at Pauly%26#39;s, which is on Osborne Street at the corner of the waterfront street, and loved the almond crusted grouper, while my boyfriend enjoyed salmon with lime cilantro sauce. While we didn%26#39;t eat lunch there, that menu had some yummy looking sandwiches on it. I did not enjoy my meal at Colonial House (a rather bland shrimp scampi) but my boyfriend liked what he had (sorry, I can%26#39;t remember what it was!). They did have good crabcakes, though. Spencer%26#39;s came highly recommended, but we didn%26#39;t get to eat there due to lack of time. There is a store facing the waterfront that sells ice cream, and you can pick up a sandwich early in the morning to take to Cumberland Island - ham/cheese, turkey/cheese, or chicken salad, I think. We picked up ours at 8:15 am before the first ferry left. Enjoy your time in Saint Marys and at Cumberland!




Sorry, I meant to say Sterling%26#39;s was highly recommended, not Spencer%26#39;s (that%26#39;s one of the B%26amp;B%26#39;s in town).

No comments:

Post a Comment