Sunday, April 15, 2012

help w/ itinerary

Ok I%26#39;ve been asking questions and doing a lot of research (my family thinks I%26#39;m obsessed) for our trip through Atlanta. We will be staying for 2 days on our way to Hilton Head this summer. We are staying at the sheraton galleria on Cobb pkwy. This is my rough idea on what we will be doing. Since we%26#39;ve never been there I may need some tweaks so we can get the most out of our trip. We will arrive at the hotel around 1:00 on thursday via car ( hope to check in early ) I%26#39;m hoping to grab lunch somewhere close (help w/ suggestions? ) then be at the aquarium by 3:00. After the aquarium we would like to go to Nuevo Laredo for dinner and then head back to hotel area for the rest of the night. Friday morning we would like to go to the flying Bisquit for breakfast at candler park ( do you see any trouble with traffic if it%26#39;s around 8:30 - 9:00?)

Then for shopping head from there to VA-hi, then to L5P,

then to Varsity downtown for lunch (should we eat at zesto%26#39;s in L5P or Varsity? ) then head to Decatur for more shopping. I would also like to get in Loehmann%26#39;s and Filene%26#39;s closet as well and then get the kid%26#39;s something quick for dinner so me and hubby can eat at Canoe together Friday night. I know it sounds like alot to cram in what are your suggestions? thank you for any input.

help w/ itinerary

Your right, that is a lot to try and cram into 1 or 2 days. Fri. traffic to the biscuit will still be thick that time in the morning. You are going to be in a lot of traffic just about anywhere you are going, so allow yourself time.

Make sure you have a reservation for Canoe Friday night. You can do it all, but it won%26#39;t be easy.

Good luck.

help w/ itinerary

I stay at the Sheraton Galleria all the time. I am the one who posted all 17 photos.

There are all kinds of fast food places on Cobb Parkway. You also will be next to Cumberland Mall. There is a Mick%26#39;s Restaurant in there. However, that wouldn%26#39;t necessarily be a fast lunch.

If you are wanting to fit in the Varsity during your trip you could eat there on your way to the aquarium. It would mean a late lunch but it would be quick. Parking is free and easy to get to at the Varsity.


I agree with Rein about hitting the Varsity on the way to the Aquarium. Plentiful parking (not easy to find in Atlanta!) and a genunine Atlanta experience. I was there Friday on the way to the Braves game and the fried peach pie reminded me why I love the place.

Traffic on a Friday morning is usually lighter than average but I wouldn%26#39;t head out until after 9 a.m.

Since Zesto%26#39;s is pretty close to Va.-Hi, that%26#39;s a good place to head for lunch.

There are tons of places to pick up dinner for your kids on Cobb Parkway, from Johnny Rockets (diner) to Chickfila.

Canoe is outstanding. We love that place. But do make sure to get reservations.


Thank you all for the quick replies I really appreciate. If we start to run out of time I%26#39;m thinking of skipping L5P this time and just head to Decatur. Are there any good homestyle southern restaurants we could try for lunch in Decatur? I%26#39;m really sad that we won%26#39;t have time to try them all! especially Greenwoods, I%26#39;ve read great reviews.

Next time I guess! By the way, I almost forgot that we will need to get breakfast Sat. morning before we leave any suggestions or any input on things to see or short stops between Atlanta and Hilton Head? I hope I%26#39;m not asking too many questions- after all it is Easter, Happy Easter to all of you!


I would go to a Cracker Barrel restaurant along the way for breakfast. You can go to their website and locate one along the way. They are also good for Southern cooking.

If I remember correctly, the drive to Hilton Head from Atlanta is boring and sometimes long distances between exits.


toss up between zestos and the varsity, for a first time visitor you have to go with the varsity though, more importantly do canoe for supper, no matter what else you do make sure you get to eat a meal at canoe while in town. have fun and let us know how your travels went.


I think it%26#39;s an ambitious but doable schedule. If you%26#39;re in L5P there%26#39;s a Zesto there at the corner of Moreland and McClendon. You may enjoy walkign around, but I doubt you%26#39;d spend mcuh time there with kids since most of the shops are new age stores, consignment shops, tattoo parlors and head shops. It%26#39;s a interesting area but unless you%26#39;re down there for a meal there%26#39;s not much to do with kids. The Flying Biscuit is only a couple of blocks from L5P so perhaps you could do lunch or breakfast there. It is really good and is something unique rather than a chain. Also, the Brewhouse in L5P has a great outdoor patio and makes really good burgers. The Vorex there si also a great burger joint but they no longer allow in people under 18 at all because of Georgia%26#39;s smoking law.

Also, be prepared for a line at Nuevo Laredo. You have to be a little pushy to get inside to the hostess area, and they%26#39;ll probably tell you it%26#39;s a 45 minute wait, but it%26#39;s usually shorter than they predict. The waiting area is small so you%26#39;ll probably wind up waiting on the outdoor porch. If I can make a suggestion, their chicken mole taco is SO good. So are the carne asada taco and shrimp taco.

Re: a downhome place in Decatur, the only place I can think of that comes close is Watershed which is near the Decatur Square. It%26#39;s a little more upscale that what you%26#39;re describing, though. You can google the name and review hte website. There is a Taqueria del Sol near the square in Decatur, which has great cheap tacos, and there%26#39;s also a Burrito Art in the square, which is funky and fun. If you%26#39;re in that area around brunch time, I highly recommend Crescent Moon diner, which is by the square and makes the best french toast ever.


I love the Cresent Moon in Decatur. We lived on the same block as The Flying Biscuit Midtown and usually drove to Decatur for Cresent Moon, if we were craving Breakfast/Brunch. I also second Watershed, probably a bit more upscale, but worth it. I would also do the Varsity on the way to the aquarium. Zesto would be good for lunch, but similar to the Varsity and I would hit one of the several good places in L5P or Va-Hi.

It seems that basically everything you want to do,except canoe, is intown. Have you considered the Sheraton in Midtown? You would save several precious hours not commuting intown.


There is also a Mick%26#39;s in Decatur. Mick%26#39;s was my favorite when I was a kid. I don%26#39;t think it is as good now, but it was on my must do list before we moved. They have great fried green tomatoes.


Thanks to all on your helpful suggestions I really appreciate! I%26#39;ve already booked my hotel via hotwire so no backing out on that. But I do think from the reviews I got a really good deal. I think i%26#39;ve got it figured out - we%26#39;re going to hit varsity/aquarium/nuevo laredo on thursday. Friday - flying bisquit /va-hi/loehmanns/filene%26#39;s closet/buckhead/canoe/ Saturday on the way out stop in Decatur have breakfast at crescent moon/ shop a little in Decatur.

As you all can tell besides the aquarium this is a total shopping%26amp;eating trip which is good because after all the eating we will need bigger clothes! thanks again!

  • african american hair
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment