Thursday, April 12, 2012

Some Questions About Atlanta

I%26#39;m going to atlanta in mid June for a convention. The convention is at the GWCC, and we%26#39;re staying at the Omni CNN Tower. What is the nightlife like in that part of town? Should we just skip out and take a cab elsewhere? I%26#39;m going with a coworker, we%26#39;re both 23 years old. What areas would most likely cater to us? Also, what are some of the more exciting things to do during the day? Aquarium? Turner Field?



Also, how hard is it to get from downtown to the airport? How hard is it to navigate around in the airport? I know it%26#39;s huge, I just want to know so we can give ourselves enough time without missing a flight or anything.



Thanks.



Some Questions About Atlanta


Pudge



You have a lot of questions. Most of them have been well covered by past threads. Use the search feature under the green stripe. If you can%26#39;t find a specific answer I%26#39;m sure we%26#39;d be glad to answer.



Some Questions About Atlanta


I%26#39;ll give you the quick answers (IN CAPS), but would join reinarubia in encouraging you to search the threads as these topics appeas frequently. We can%26#39;t do all of the work for you.





I%26#39;m going to atlanta in mid June for a convention. The convention is at the GWCC, and we%26#39;re staying at the Omni CNN Tower. What is the nightlife like in that part of town? NON-EXISTENT. CHEESY. AVOID UNDERGOUND WHICH IS A TOURIST TRAP.





Should we just skip out and take a cab elsewhere?YES, OR TAKE MARTA.





I%26#39;m going with a coworker, we%26#39;re both 23 years old. What areas would most likely cater to us? MIDTOWN, VIRGINIA HIGHLANDS, LITTLE 5 POINTS





Also, what are some of the more exciting things to do during the day? Aquarium? YES Turner Field?YES IF THERE%26#39;S A GAME. SEE THE ATTRACTIONS TAB ON TRIPADVISOR WHICH IS A VERY THOROUGH LIST.





Also, how hard is it to get from downtown to the airport? EXTREMELY EASY ON MARTA - THERE%26#39;S A STATION IN THE AIRPORT AND A STOP AT THE OMNI. GO TO WWW.ITSMARTA.COM





How hard is it to navigate around in the airport? IT IS VERY WELL-MARKED. SHOULD BE NO PROBLEM.





I know it%26#39;s huge, I just want to know so we can give ourselves enough time without missing a flight or anything. ARRIVE AT LEAST AN HOUR BEFORE DOMESTIC FLIGHTS AND 2 HOURS BEFORE INTERNATIONAL FLIGHTS.




i wouldn%26#39;t bring any wool clothes, long pants or gloves. it will be warm to down right hot. but don%26#39;t worry you won%26#39;t be bored for a second as there is literally a ton of stuff to see, do and eat nearby. have fun!




I%26#39;ve got a question for you, how did you get to be a local expert with only 12 posts? That must be some kind of record.



By the way, I encouraged you to use the seach feature becasue as a local expert you should learn how to do that. Think how you would feel if someone in the Scranton forum asked you so many questions.




That whole area where you%26#39;re staying is kinda lame. Lots of fast food in the CNN center for cheap meals... but that%26#39;s about all it offers you. The best bars / clubs are in BUCKHEAD - at least - that%26#39;s where the 20-somethings with money go. I%26#39;m not sure how close MARTA will get you to Buckhead, you might need to take a cab... and it%26#39;s probably going to cost you a decent fare to get there. But I don%26#39;t think too many people would argue with me - that%26#39;s the hot spot these days.





Turner Field was impressive %26amp; fun, although being a PA native myself... it takes some getting used to. It%26#39;s hard to sit in the evil empire that is the Braves home!




I don%26#39;t know as I would describe the area where you are staying as lame, as it has plenty to see, i.e. CNN Center/Centennial Olympic Park/Georgia Aquarium, etc. But it is not a good area for nightlife. Midtown or Buckhead, both reachable on MARTA and Little Five Points are much better areas for nightlife. Buckhead does cater to a 20-something crowd more than the other areas.




I have to disagree with the Buckhead recommendation. In my observation, it is no longer as popular as it once was, and the only draw in that area seems to be a hip hop crowd. If that%26#39;s what you%26#39;re looking for, then this may be a good place. Otherwise, most Buckhead clubs haven%26#39;t been trendy or popular for 10 years. There are a few places people still go - Buckhead Saloon, Coyote Ugly, Tongue and Groove, East Andrews - but be warned the area is not as safe as you might think. A couple of years ago, my secretary got crushed by a mob running from the police and was pinned between a car and a curb for several minutes while being trampled by the fleeing mob. I think there%26#39;s been a renewed push for safety in the past few years with the installation of cameras and increased police presence. I just haven%26#39;t known anyone who went out in Buckhead for years, but I did recently pass the 30 mark....





I would think you%26#39;d find more variety in the Crescent Avenue area of midtown (clubs like Lava, Twisted Taco, Eleven50, Leopard Lounge, Cosmopolitan, Tangier if that%26#39;s still open, etc.) or at the club Compound which is slightly west of midtown.




I was actually in Buckhead about a month ago on a Sat. night. I hadn%26#39;t been there in many years. There%26#39;s still plenty of people down there and it wasn%26#39;t as bad as I had thought it might be. We were going to Fado (Irish pub) for an event and things were pretty tame. Mind you, this was around 9 p.m. and we left by 11 p.m. The rowdies may have shown up later. There were a good number of cops out and around. Some places were charging $15 to park, which was to frugal me ridiculous. The area needs a breath of fresh air, I will say that. It felt kinda stale to me.





BUT I would still take Midtown bars/clubs over Buckhead. Just more variety and also great dining options. And a more fun vibe all around.




The only bar I will go to in Buckhead is Fado Irish Pub. Mixed crowd of young and old, American,British,Irish. Very little trouble there. No hip hop music, no hip hop crowd. Traditional Irish to popular music as well as live bands and a patio area. Guinness is great.




Thank you everyone for your help. I%26#39;ll definately take all that into consideration for my trip. I appreciate all the help.




REINARUBIA, no need to flame on me just %26#39;cause I had some questions and didn%26#39;t think to look them up in the search engine. Thanks to all for the advice though.

No comments:

Post a Comment