Friday, March 30, 2012

Tybee, St. Simon, Jekyll or Hilton Head?

Hi,





I%26#39;m coming to the area next month and I%26#39;m very excited! I am spending a few days in Savannah but I have another day and night to spend somewhere else.





Which is my best bet? Is Tybee Island small enough that I could fit it in within the 2 Savannah days and then check out one of the other Islands?





I am a single woman traveller. I like touristy stuff and shopping places. Wherever I go I would most likely rent a bike or scooter to see the most I could in the little time I have.





Many thanks!



Tybee, St. Simon, Jekyll or Hilton Head?


Yes, Tybee is pretty small and very walkable so if go there, you%26#39;ll have an easy time getting around and seeing basically all of it in 1/2 day. There isn%26#39;t any shopping really, just one high-end gift shop and a bunch of cheap souvenier shops. Tybee is very, very laid back and from what I hear, very different from the other islands you mention which are more upscale and built-up. We are going to Jekyll for the first time in about 3 weeks and based on what we%26#39;ve read and know about Tybee, it%26#39;ll be similar in that its all beach front, some nature, but more shopping and traffic.



If I were you, I would just go to Tybee for a half day trip then drive south to Jekyll or St Simon for an overnight- this is assuming you are allowing yourself ample time to your airport heading home or elsewhere? I know there are bikes to rent on Jekyll but don%26#39;t know about St Simon and I don%26#39;t think I%26#39;d care for Hilton Head so hopefully someone else can help you on that end.



Tybee, St. Simon, Jekyll or Hilton Head?


there really isn%26#39;t much to see at Tybee. Since you want to go to one of the other islands, I would skip it.





If you are going to have a car, check out Fort Pulaski, it%26#39;s on the way to Tybee. Then you could spend about 20 minutes driving around Tybee and seeing just about all of it. The Fort is well worth a couple of hours for a quick visit.





Hilton Head is to the North of Savannah, and St. Simon and Jekyll are to the South. Keep that in mind when you are making other plans. Are you leaving the area by air? If so, your best choice might be Hilton Head.




Thanks for the info so far!





Wherever I end up going I plan to be there from a Monday morning and then leaving the area Tuesday morning. I have a flight out of Atlanta late Tuesday night so I%26#39;ll have lots of time to get back from wherever I decide to visit.




I agree that Tybee probably can be crossed off the list. St. Simon%26#39;s is gorgeous but Hilton Head is probably better for a single person wanting a variety of things to do. HH has MANY services; St. Simon%26#39;s not so much but there is a tiny ';downtown'; that would keep you entertained for a day or so. If you want a more quiet atmosphere and don%26#39;t mind the extra drive, go to St. Simon%26#39;s; Hilton Head is very big (it%26#39;s beautiful but busy) and more convenient to Savannah. Also consider Beaufort - it%26#39;s a cute little town and you could take a nice carriage ride, shop on Bay Street, and eat at some fun places on the water and head out to a nice public beach. Beaufort is also known for its rich movie history - lots of Forrest Gump was filmed there as were many other ';southern'; movies. Enjoy!




I would agree with the poster above, Hilton Head and Beaufort are beautiful and there is plenty of shopping in Hilton Head. Beaufort has a lot of history attached to it like Savannah but a lot smaller so that you can see it in a few hours.




I%26#39;ve never been to Hilton Head, but I grew up going to SSI since my grandmother lives there. There is a trolley tour that is really fun, and you can visit Fort Fredrica and Christ Church, tour the lighthouse, there are bike/scooter rentals, and the beaches are okay towards East Beach. There has been a lot of shopping added on the island closer to the Sea Island Causeway, I think the shopping center is called the Sea Island Shoppes...some local shops plus upscale chains. The village has some local shops as well and is situated next to the pier where there are some great places to eat. My faves are:





4th of May for breakfast and lunch (Butter Pecan French Toast is my fave)



Mullet Bay for a drink and bar food



CrabDaddy%26#39;s for broiled/grilled seafood



Crab Trap for fried seafood



Frederica House for steaks and seafood



Moondoggies for pizza



Sweet Mama%26#39;s for ice cream and desserts



Gnat%26#39;s Landing for lunch or dinner





SSI takes about an hour and a half from Savannah down 95, it%26#39;s not a bad drive. Jekyll is just across the water, you can see it from the pier, but it takes about 30 minutes to get over there by car and there is not a ferry, I personally don%26#39;t like Jekyll there is very little to do there.





Enjoy your trip whatever you choose!




Cokechick,





I%26#39;ve spent time with the family on all of the islands and think HH would meet your needs best. It has the most shopping, the best beaches, lots of trails for riding bikes and is also the closest to Atlanta.





Tybee is an easy day trip from Savannah but you won%26#39;t be missing much if you skip it. If you do go, consider stopping at the Crab Shack for a fun casual meal.





Have fun.




Thanks everybody. I really appreciate all the advice! I have picked Hilton Head and even managed to get the Westin for $75. It runs high 200%26#39;s so I think I got a pretty good deal! Of course the dollar sucks right now but I%26#39;m still happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment