Friday, March 30, 2012

General policy on tipping

We%26#39;ll be arriving in Savannah at the beginning of April at the start of our month long journey to New York.





Can somebody please tell me what are general policies on tipping in the USA.





Who do you tip? Who don%26#39;t you tip? How much do you tip? Are service charges sometimes automatically added and, in which case, I presume you don%26#39;t tip?





Many thanks



General policy on tipping


http://www.drdaveanddee.com/tipping.html



General policy on tipping


Always tip the waiter or waitress at least 15% unless they did a HORRIBLE job. They only make about $3 an hour w/out tips, which is nothing. I always do 20% unless the service was bad. I%26#39;ve left no tip only once or twice.



You%26#39;re supposed to tip bellmen about a dollar or two a bag, I think, and it is good to tip your maid. I usually do about $5 but we don%26#39;t stay in expensive hotels.



You%26#39;re supposed to tip cab drivers but I have no idea how much, I%26#39;m from a really rural area and have never been in a cab before!




I always tip: 18-20% to a waiter or waitress unless service is bad, 25% if it%26#39;s really good; $1-2 per bag for bellman; 20% in taxi, but sometimes I round that down; $1-2 per day per hotel maid (just leave on dresser when you check out). Those are really the only people I tip. If you use a tour guide who does a good job $5 would be appreciated. If you rent a car and take a shuttle to and from the car rental lot and the driver helps you with your bags, tipping him $1-2 would be nice. Other than waiters and waitresses and bellmen, though, none of these people absolutely expect tips, so you can use discretion based on the level of service you receive


  • blackheads
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment