Friday, March 30, 2012

Accommodation Help Please!

Hi there,





I%26#39;m coming to Savannah over Easter weekend, which I guess luckily for me in terms of prices, isn%26#39;t a US holiday, I don%26#39;t get it.





I am looking for a reasonably priced place to stay for a Saturday and Sunday night. The dollar sucks right now so I%26#39;m looking for something about $60 US if possible. I don%26#39;t mind being more than walking distance from town, as long as it%26#39;s safe (lone woman traveller) and there is a straight shot transit route into town.





My original plan was the the Savannah Pensione which I understand isn%26#39;t a hostel anymore but I can get a room there for about $45. But when I called the other day they said I could only make a reservation a week in advance! I would hate to wait and end up with nothing. Has anyone heard anything about this place?





I would like to book something reasonable as security that I can cancel should the Pensione have availability when I call.





Thanks so much!



Accommodation Help Please!


Gees, no offense, but you must be on a college student budget. There is no straight shot, public transit into the historic center of Savannah that I%26#39;ve learned about yet but hopefully the locals will help you. My guess is that you will need to stay in the downtown area itself which is totally walkable but the area around it isn%26#39;t connected directly to it as far as walkers and public transit tourists might need it to be. Your $60 US is really really on the low end and I doubt that any place will take you for that. Have you checked in with Georgia universities to see if they rent college rooms for that much? Easter is a holiday only for Christians and really isn%26#39;t considered a holiday in terms of hotel fees unless maybe the town is having some giant parade or something that attracts tourists.



I hope for the best for you as this city is truly wonderful but having been there a few times now and having been a pensionne person years ago, this doesn%26#39;t appear to be a hostel kind of town with public transportation to match your needs. I hope you can visit anyway, you will love Savannah!



Accommodation Help Please!


priceline advertised La Quinta Inn Midtown Savannah for 54.00pn. check w/locals on safety,public xport etc.




You arent going to find anything near the historic district for that price. Most hotels in the area run $200.00/night --- the nasty hotels near the district run in the low 100s/night.




Your best bet is going to be the Midtown locations for hotel/motel. Look for anything on the listings with an Abercorn Street address, and a block number of over 6000. Also, White Bluff Road, Stevenson Avenue, or just MIDTOWN LOCATION. These would all be near or on a local city bus route.





Also would be near inexpensive restaurants and Mall shopping. Midtown is about 4-5 miles south of the historic district so it is not within walking distance of the HD, (or as you call it, ';town';)




I got a hotel on priceline, two nights, the 16th and 17th St. Patty%26#39;s day in historic district for 125.00 so try them.






Experts, how about The Relax Inn for her? I was thinking of staying there myself, so I%26#39;m interested in your views.




It%26#39;s a good bit further out on Abercorn Street than the midtown motels. I really don%26#39;t know if the bus service goes out that far.




Stay just south of DeRenne Ave on Abercorn Street and you will find some good deals. Extended Stay America offers a no nonsense room with a kitchenette.





Publix grocery store is right across the street.





Check www.catchacat.org for local bus routes. I can tell you bus#14 runs up and down Abercorn from early in the morning until late at night for $1 each way. Great deal.




Cokechick,





For the best hotel at that price I would strongly recommend using priceline. Recent bids for 3* and 3.5* hotels in both the historic district and in the midtown area have been successful below $60 per night.





Use biddingfortravel.com to see what recent successful bids have been and to educate yourself about using priceline.





Good luck




Thanks for your help guys! I got the Courtyard Marriott Midtown for $45 a night. I would have rather been downtown but for that price I don%26#39;t mind taking the bus. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment