Wednesday, April 25, 2012

April in Savannah & Charleston

We are splitting a week between the two. We love history, food, %26amp; some shopping. I would appreciate any thoughts about how we should split our time between the two cities? We are looking into staying at either the Doubletree or the Garden Hotel. Any thoughts on which might be better.



April in Savannah %26amp; Charleston


They are right next to each other and only a year or two apart in age. There is probably no appreciable difference. The Garden is the newest of the two though.





I, personally, like Savannah much better than Charleston for walking around. Charleston has a pretty nice aquarium an Imax theater and the boat tour out to St Sumpter. They are all together so that is surely worth doing and I think you can get a package ticket and save a few bucks.





I would spend two or three days in Charleston, the rest in Savannah. It is a two and a half or three hour drive between the two cities.



April in Savannah %26amp; Charleston


Sorry, that was supposed to be Ft. Sumter.




BrianO, thanks for your reply. I didn%26#39;t know it wasn%26#39;t Sumpter. Thanks for the heads up on the ticket discount. BTW in case others haven%26#39;t thought of it. We had to book our flight from DFW into Columbia due to the rates American was charging directly into Savannah. Have you made that drive? What%26#39;s it like?




The drive from Columbia to Charleston to Savannah is very easy! Since the Airport in Columbia is right off of I-26, you should take I-26 east directly to Charleston. It%26#39;ll take about 2-3 hours for that trip, depending on where you are staying, but it%26#39;s a straight shot from Columbia to Charleston. Then, coming from Charleston to Savannah, take hwy 17 to I-95 South, to Exit 5 (Hardeeville) directly into Savannah. When you cross the Talmadge Bridge, you%26#39;re here! Have a safe trip!




Not much to see on the drive but not much traffic either. Columbia has a pretty good zoo btw if you have a little time there.




Don%26#39;t know you hotels. But, just wanted to put in a differing viewpoint on the Charleston/Savannah issue. I%26#39;m sure it%26#39;s just personal preference, but my vote would go to Charleston as being the best of the two. However, they are both beautiful cities. And I might suggest that when you drive from Charleston to Savannah that you take Hwy 17. Beaufort, SC is about half way between the two and it is a really cute little town as well. Not as big or as crowded as Charleston %26amp; Savannah. But very nice. You might spend at least a day there.





Sounds like a dream trip to me. I love that whole area. The lowcountry!!




I also have to advise the ruins of the Old Sheldon Church, near beaufort, but as said before, off the beaten path. It is absolutely BEAUTIFUL, especially at night (haunted? who knows). It%26#39;s actually only about 2 miles off 17 as you would be going from Charleston to I-95 gsouth, so if you went to Beaufort (a nice trip, also) you may opt out of one or the other, depending on the time you have to travel. Hope you have a safe and wonderful trip!




I appreciate everyone%26#39;s thoughts, I%26#39;ll make sure we take Hwy 17. Can%26#39;t wait to get there.




You can%26#39;t compare the two cities any more than you can compare apples and oranges. Or apple pie and fresh orange juice.





My favorite is Savannah. Of course, I have lived here all my life. I couldn%26#39;t imagine living in Charleston.





I am sure you will enjoy both places. Both hotels are fairly new and centrally located. If you have difficulty getting rooms, try the Hyatt or the Hampton.

No comments:

Post a Comment