Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Is Lady and Sons worth the wait?

I%26#39;ve seen some very mixed reviews on Paula Deen%26#39;s restaurants. I%26#39;ll only be in Savannah for a day and a half. Love home cooking and seafood where do you recommend dining? What are the must sees of the city for this kind of time frame?



Is Lady and Sons worth the wait?


I would skip Lady %26amp; Sons unless you just love her and want to be able to say you ate there.





Be sure to see our new art museum the Jepson center. It opens March 10.





Tour at least one restored house, the Telfair owns one, you can get a package deal.





Walk. That is the best way to see and enjoy this city in my opinion. If you can%26#39;t walk, take a trolley tour to get a good overview.



Is Lady and Sons worth the wait?


It is a zoo outside of Lady %26amp; Sons but if you go by restaurant at the corner of Whitaker %26amp; Congress Streets near City Market around 9:30 AM you can register for a lunch reservation.





Visit the city and comeback at the right time and have a good meal. My bride loves the Savannah Country Cooking cookbook.





I have a review of some other restaurants at my web site. http://exploresavannah.com/restaurants.html





Firefly Cafe is my favorite (right now).





Vic%26#39;s on the River have been getting some nice write ups in the paper.





Enjoy my city.




Thanks for the info! Do you know if there are things between Charleston and Savannah that are worth stopping for?




Beaufort SC is a pretty little town dates from about 1700. They filmed the Big Chill there. Horse drawn carriages are available.





Broad River Seafood and Alvin Ord%26#39;s sandwich shop are two of my favorite restaurants in Beaufort.





It is about 1/2 between Savannah and Charleston.




I agree. Since you have only the day to see Savannah, skip The Lady and Sons. Start your tour in the morning and wherever you happen to be around lunch time, there will probably be a neat place to eat. It would be a shame to waste time walking back just to say you ate there.




I agree with BrianO. Unless you are a huge fan and feel you MUST go to LAS, I would wait until you%26#39;re here for a longer time. There%26#39;s so much to do and see in Savannah.





The food at LAS is okay but I think the charm of the place wore off after it became a tourist destination. Just my two cents.





Definitely visit a historic home as you can get a definite taste of what things were like once upon a time. The Owens-Thomas House is probably my favorite because it was designed by English architect William Jay in the Regency style. The Isaiah Davenport House, one of the first historic homes renovated and preserved in the 1970s, is another good one to visit.




I used to work within sight of the deliveries door of The Lady and Sons. I could see the Sysco food distributor trucks offloading the institutional size cans of vegetables that could not, therefore, possibly be ';fresh'; or ';ho-made';. Are you particularly interested in a down-home, Southern cookin%26#39; experience?




There is much between Savannah and Charleston worth while.



Look at the outlet mall at Hilton Head and the Le Cruset(sp?) outlet center on I 95.




Yes I%26#39;d like to go to a restaurant that has genuine southern cooking. I%26#39;m not into the really fancy restaurant stuff. Prefer to stay away from the tourist restaurants (that usually aren%26#39;t that good!). Love patio dining and atmosphere. Thanks for all the info!!




There is a great little BBQ place just off Bull St near Oglethorpe Angel%26#39;s BBQ. Walking south on Bull, cross Oglethorpe, then take a right down the next lane, just after the church. It is a few doors down on the left, excellent BBQ and great unusual sides.

No comments:

Post a Comment