Monday, April 23, 2012

Relocating

Hello everyone. Any information from this forum would be helpful. My husband and I are planning to relocate from Long Island, NY. I just sold my home and am looking forward to cheaper real estate, LOWER taxes (we have the highest in the country) and a slower pace. I am a social worker and have just recieved my paperwork to get my license in GA. I have looked at a few hospitals online and was wondering what the job market is for social work. My husband and I also own a business and plan on expanding it to the area. We currently own a cafe and I was also wondering if that is something needed in the area. We are focusing on the ATlanta area and surrounding suburbs- north. I also started a natural/organic bath and body business which is doing fairly well and I will be looking for space in the area. I would like to rent a house before buying because I have a 140lb dog and two cats. Would like to get another dog as well. I want to be in the $1,500 price range which is lovely being that my mortgage was $2,800. I would like something with a yard, land, and maybe even a pool. So to recap I am looking for any input into social work jobs, need for my two businesses and places to rent a home in my price range.

Relocating

If you relocate to the northside you may wish you hadn%26#39;t. Don%26#39;t get me wrong, it has lots to offer, but the traffic is horrendous. In addition, if you travel very often, you have to go through all of the northside and then through the downtown connector in order to reach the airport.

We moved to Peachtree City several years ago and we love it. It is on the southside and 20 minutes from the airport. Lots of upscale restaurants and great shopping. Easy to get around. Top-rated schools (Fayette County). Money Magazine recently listed Peachtree City as one of the top ten (nationwide) places to live. For $250,000 (or less) you will find a beautiful home on a large lot. Look north of Hwy 54, off of Hwy 74. Low taxes. Quick access to Atlanta via I-85.

Good luck!

Tony

Relocating

Just a note for you, Dedicated. Trip Advisor tends to frown on relocation posts so this thread may get nixed by them soon.

I think you could find what you%26#39;re looking for here. Personally, there is a big need for a good cafe in Peachtree City or Fayetteville (which is nearby). There is a bulk of chain restaurants that have come into the area and folks are looking for more original dining spots. Whenever I visit my Mom down that way, we%26#39;re disappointed in what%26#39;s available.


Just one more thing. Didn%26#39;t meant to imply there were no good locally-owned restaurants in PTC or F%26#39;ville. There are some. But they could definitely use some more.


I would say that North Georgia is the best place to live in Georgia. I have lived in Georgia in different locations all my life. I like areas from Cumming Georgia and North of this area.

A cafe would do well in the city of Cumming, Ga.,Forsyth County has a high median income, Dahlonega(very nice small historic town near major interstate of 400), Dawsonville( near nice outlet Mall right off Hwy 400).

The beauty of this area is that you can drive down 400 about 40 minutes and be in downtown atlanta or 20 minutes North to the beautiful mountains and waterfalls of North Georgia.

Peachtree City / Fayetteville area is nice if you stay in the city limits, but in my opinion too close to Hartsfield Airport and surrounding areas are not as nice as Peachtree City.....Just my opinion...I have a good friend that lives there and loves it.


Forsyth county is nice, but I heard just this week on the radio that it is the fastest growing county in the country with it%26#39;s population increasing 90+% in the last four years. So, it may be time to look a little further north. I really like Dawson County, because that%26#39;s where you start getting into the mountains.

DEDICATED, If you live and work inside the ';Perimeter'; (ITP) (I-285) that circles Atlanta, don%26#39;t expect the pace of life to be a whole lot slower than New York. If you live outside the perimeter (OTP), welcome to the longest daily commute of any city in the country. The price of growth I suppose. The best compromise I could find for myself was to work in the city and live in the country, but I have a 120 mile commute every day. Don%26#39;t get me wrong. I love it here. I think you and your family will too.


You can really get a lot for your money North of Atlanta, towards the Woodstock area. I also agree with the Forsyth county advice. Yes, traffic is bad if you have to commute to Atlanta everyday, but it%26#39;s well worth it for what you can get for your money in the northern suburbs. You should have no trouble finding a home to lease in a nice subdivision with a yard for your dog/s for $1500. If you would like more land, try going a little further up and try Canton. Our friends built their dream home there and love it, but not for the restaurants and entertainment. They drive into town for that. One thing to remember, unless you live downtown (extremely expensive and in my honest opinion, not safe) you will be in your car a lot to get anywhere. It%26#39;s beautiful here. Try realtor.com and put in a couple of towns and look at rentals/rates. Good luck on the move and WELCOME!


Or you could come the way we moved. We%26#39;re northeast of Atlanta, off I-85 in Jackson County. Even though the area is really starting to grow as far as new housing, land and homes are still a good deal compared to intown. You could definitely lease a home with a decent yard for $1,500. My wife and I built a home on 5 acres with just under an acre fenced in for our dogs for under $300,000. It%26#39;s actually in a ';subdivision'; of sorts but all lots are a minimum of 3 acres and we feel as if we are out in the country. Then again, we ARE in the country. The subdivision is surrounded by farms and woods. (Crosses fingers and hopes it stays that way. Evil developers want to build a strip mall and 24 hour service station behind us. We couldn%26#39;t see it from where we live, but the light pollution would spoil the crystal clear nightime skies we%26#39;ve gotten use to. We%26#39;ve beat them in county and city zoning meetings for the last two years, but they haven%26#39;t given up)

  • How to keep a duvet cover on a down comforter
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment