Monday, April 23, 2012

25'th anniversary, suggestions please

My husband and I will be celebrating 25%26#39;th anniversary in early August. I want to surprise him with a weekend in Atlanta (our actual celebration trip will be to Jamaica in Sept.). Would appreciate upscale hotel suggestions and best place for elegant dinner (not too gourmet, though--he%26#39;s a steak kind of guy). Am hoping there will be something decent at The Fox at that time--any suggestions for good place for drinks before the show? Also, what spa would you recommend for couples?





Thanks--



25'th anniversary, suggestions please


I think Canoe would be an excellent restaurant for an anniversay. It is very romantic, located overlooking the river, and has a menu that is gourmet yet fairly simple. Here%26#39;s the website: http://www.canoe-atl.com/canoe_content.htm



The crowd is a little more mature than soem of the trendy restaurants, and this has been a consistent fixture on the Atlanta restaurant scene for a long time. I also would recommend Woodfire Grill.





My top picks for a hotel would be the Four Seasons or the Ritz Carlton in Buckhead. You may be surprised how affordable the Four Seasons is on weekends because, being in midtown, it caters to a business crowd rather than a tourist crown and has a lower occupancy on weekends which translates to a lower price. At least that was the case last summer.





For spas, I always go to the Spa Sydell in Brookwood just because I live a few blocks away. However, I don%26#39;t know how romantic it is considered. I think the waiting room area (in which everyone is wearing robe and serene music is playing) is weird because it is too crowded and chatty and mixes men and women. I have friends who swear by Natural Body Day Spa, so you might want to check out that website. There is also a new Spa Sydell at the Perimeter and a Spa Sydell in Buckhead that may fit the bill.





Re: drinks before the Fox, I think the Georgia Terrace hotel across the street is lovely and a good place for drinks. The Hotel Indigo is sort of cool too (also across the street from the Fox), but be prepared for a very brightly lit and cheerful bar area (call me crazy but I like dark and swanky or dark and cozy). A few blocks north is restaurant Baraondo which has a decent sized bar and is adjacent to a wine store named Eno. I don%26#39;t know how formal you want to go, but there is a fantastic English pub named the Spotted Dog in a restored fire station about a block away on North Avenue. It is upscale for a pub, and I really love how well it%26#39;s been restored. We%26#39;re seeing Wicked! at the Fox next month and are going to meet friends here for pre-show drinks.



25'th anniversary, suggestions please


Thanks, JAtlanta! I never would have thought of Canoe and it sounds perfect! I appreciate all of your suggestions.




well done jatlanta! you hit a home run with the canoe suggestion. it%26#39;s a family favorite here.




I love Canoe. A coupe of years ago, the parents of a close friend hosted his 30th birthday party there. They served cocktails and light appetizers at tables set up outside overlooking the river, surrounded by fairy lights. Then, we were brought in side to a private room that seemed like a medieval wine cellar. I thought they went above and beyond to make it a special occasion. When I%26#39;ve dined there with smaller groups, I%26#39;ve felt the service was excellent as well. They do permit you to bring your own wine for a small corkage fee if there%26#39;s a special bottle you%26#39;d like to bring.

No comments:

Post a Comment