Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Variety Playhouse

Hello All! I hope I am not double posting, I tried to post this this morning but I don%26#39;t think it worked. I%26#39;ve found a lot of helpful info in this forum but I still have a few questions. (I%26#39;m from Ohio, %26amp; not familiar with Atlanta beyond what I%26#39;ve read here). I am going to a show at the Variety Playhouse %26amp; would greatly appreciate info esp. related to:

1) how is parking around there?

2) is it easily accessible from Marta?

3) what good restaurants are nearby (not too exotic, I%26#39;m already dragging my honey to a show he%26#39;s not that interested in)

4) how early should we get there for a gen admit show?

Thanks so much for any info/advice!!

Variety Playhouse

The theater is in Little Five Points. There is street parking in the neighborhood around the playhouse and a few surface lots. I usually park in a surface lot that is at the corner of Moreland Avenue and Euclid Avenue and behind the Star Community Bar. They sometimes charge, but it%26#39;s no more than $2-3.

I would not recommend MARTA. You would have to traverse an unsafe neighborhood, and there has been a story all over the news this week about a teenaged boy getting severely beaten by a mob of teenagers in that MARTA station while a bunch of people looked on and did nothing to help. There are some neighborhoods where MARTA is safe, but I do not feel like that is one of them. Further, the walk from MARTA to Variety is more than half a mile and involves some questionable areas.

The restaurants in Little Five are generally inexpensive and casual. The Brewhouse, which is next to the parking lot described above, has great pub food and dozens of beer on tap. The Vortex, which is across the street, has amazing burgers. Savage Pizza is in the same area, and gets raves. There is a sushi place across the street from Variety called Sweet Lime, but I%26#39;m not sure if it%26#39;s still open and it didn%26#39;t get very good reviews. El Myr, a burrito place next foor to Variety, is also very popular, but I%26#39;ve never been. My top choice is always Brewhouse (I ate there Saturday).

I have only been to two shows at Variety, but it did not take long to get through the line. I would think you%26#39;d be fine getting there 15-20 minutes early, enough time to get a beer and find a spot.

There are seats upstairs in the balcony on a first come basis if you want to sit at any point.

Variety Playhouse

Thank you so much! That%26#39;s great info, very helpful. And I especially appreciate you responding so quickly as I am going to be there this weekend!

  • help with flat screen tvs
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment