Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Atlanta Hotels, please help with advice

I will be coming to Atlanta in early April to attend a conference at the Georgia World Conference Center. There are numerous hotels near the convention center, but I get the sense that the downtown area is not where I want to be at night.

I was looking for a hotel/part of the city that would not be too far from the convention center, but one where I could go for a run in the morning and feel comfortable walking around at night. Somewhere that there might be interesting sights/restaurants, etc. I don%26#39;t need a late night partying scene and most important is that at night the hotel is quiet.

Can someone please give me advice on what staying near the convention center would be like vs. another neighborhood? What about staying somewhere near Piedmont Park(I think that%26#39;s what it%26#39;s called)?

Thanks for your help,

John

Atlanta Hotels, please help with advice

Please allow me to be the first of probably many to recommend that you stay in midtown. Piedmont Park is in Midtown, and there are several hotels within a block or so of the park - The Wyndham on 10th St, the Sheraton on 14th St, and the Four Seasons on 14th Street. The park is a beautiful place to go running and midtown has the best concentration of restaurants and bars.

There are some nice hotels near the convention center, adn the area in that immediate vicinity is fine, but really touristy and there%26#39;s nothing to do at night and few dining options. If you go running, I would do towards downtown (north and slightly east) and definitely not south or west.

Atlanta Hotels, please help with advice

Ditto on the Midtown suggestion. You can run in the park or on the sidewalks early in the day or the evenings. Plnty of restaurants. One other hotel you may want to check is the Regency Suites. It is a smaller, all suite property, but recently renovated and right next to a Marta (subway) station which will take you to the GWCC for %1.75 each way.


I checked out the tripadvisor ratings for the possible 3* hotels on priceline in midtown (they don%26#39;t have 4* for this area), and they aren%26#39;t that great (except for marriott). Is it still better to stay there, or downtown (which have hotels with excellent ratings)? Thanks.


I don%26#39;t know much about the Tripadvisor ratings system and am generally inclined to state that: 1) people with an ax to grind post more often than those who are satisfied; and 2) downtown hotels cater to a lot of business people who are more experienced and sophisticated travellers and don%26#39;t go into hysterics if a bathroom only has one roll of toilet paper or a light bulb blows. So, I tend to take reviews like that with a grain of salt. As to Midtown, I can comment that the Four Seasons is sublime. The Sheraton and the Wyndham are both very nice. These won%26#39;t rank up there for style with a W, Intercontinental, or a Ritz, but they are nice, well-located hotels.

I am not aware of anything downtown that is any nicer than any of the hotels in midtown (the Ritz downtown is not as nice as the one in Buckhead). Having been in rooms in both, I think the midtown Sheraton is nicer than the downtown Sheraton.

I guess that means my answer to stick with midtown. If you are very exacting with regards to hotels, I think my rankings would be 1) Four Seasons, 2) Ritz Buckhead, 3) Hotel Intercontinental Buckhead, 4) Glenn Hotel downtown, and 5) Ritz downtown.


feel free to trust jatlanta%26#39;s judgement. it%26#39;s like coffee, good to the last drop. trust the authority and the experienced voice. you%26#39;ll be well served by doing so and glad that you did.

  • black hair care
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment