Monday, April 23, 2012

Need suggestion for Motel or Hotel

I will be spending the night in Savannah June 23 and returning around July 7. I would like to find a nice clean place to stay. I have tried the Holiday Inn at Gateway, also the Baymont Inn. The Holiday Inn just gets worst and worst.....disgustingly filthy.Stayed at the Baymont Inn (last summer) fairly new down by the docks-very bad location, but it was a bit cleaner, not what I would call clean. There must be somewhere that is in a nice location and clean, not luxury, but moderate. Could someone please advise me. Also has anyone tried Paula Deen%26#39;s new seafood resturant. I think it is called Bubba%26#39;s Oyster House.Thanks

Need suggestion for Motel or Hotel

My mom and I ate at Bubba%26#39;s last year and had a great meal. I had the catfish and it was very good. Everyone was very nice and Bubba%26#39;s, Paula%26#39;s brother, came out and let us take pictures with him. He was very nice to my mom and we could tell he had been working back in the kitchen. It%26#39;s located at a beautiful site and we walked around and looked at all of the family photos on the wall. Be careful not to go during a busy time; I%26#39;ve heard it can be very crowded.

Need suggestion for Motel or Hotel

Best idea is to get out of town. Try the motels on I-95 that runs N/S about 12 miles west of Sav%26#39;h. You will find most of the motel ';action'; on SR 204 (Abercorn Ext.) and that leads eastward into the city. Savannah is a grand old lady and you%26#39;ll love it.

Plenty of seafood eating. There use to be a hole-in-the-wall in Thunderbolt (US80E) or Victory Drive, that wasn%26#39;t anything to write home about but it had great seafood - especially since it was a stone%26#39;s throw from the docks!

If you have a chance to visit Darien or St. Marys on your way, there are two really great seafood houses, one off US 17 out of Darien toward Brunswick. It%26#39;s called ';Mud Cat Charlie%26#39;s';; you can eat on a dock out over the water, looking at shrimp boats, etc. The other one in St. Marys is ';Lang%26#39;s Seafood'; on the waterfront. If you like shrimp (GA Whites or Rock Shrimp) you%26#39;ll love this place!

Hope this helps

GwinnettTraveler

(PS: Native of South Georgia)


The is a Doubletree Hotel near the waterfront. Very clean and the staff is friendly and helpful. There is a funky, casual little place called Vinnie Van Gogos for pizza just across a side street, and you can easily walk to many points of interest in the historic district.

I agree with previous post about Mudcat Charlie%26#39;s!


Thanks for all your suggestions. I have saved all your info. Also was thinking of stopping in Beauford. How far is it from Savannah. Is it very far off 95? What suggestions do you have for lodging and dinning there?


Sorry. Can%26#39;t help you on Beaufort. When I got out of boot camp (USMC) I swore off that part of South Carolina! Seriously, haven%26#39;t been there in many years but a neat little town in the typical coastal variety. There are the usual ';cookie cutter'; franchises, but, as I understand, a few really good seafood restaurants as well.

You%26#39;ll enjoy that part of SC as well.

GT


I suggest you stay at the baymont inn garden city www baymontinngc.com It is a great hotel with lots of extras. I stay there every week!


I stayed at the Baymont Inn in Garden City last summer. It had just opened.It was nice and somewhat clean, but I thought it was in a bad location. Is this part of town safe for tourist?


The Baymount in Garden City is indeed a poor place for the tourist. However, the Baymount on Abercorn in Midtown gets some good reviews. You would have to drive or catch a bus into the Historic District. It%26#39;s in a good location for eating. Nothing real special, but a lot of chains like The Long Horn and Red Lobster.


There is a ';newer'; and reasonably priced Comfort Suites on West Bay thst is okay. One of the reasons I like it because it has inside corridors.

The Hilton Gardens and the Doubletree (formerly a Raddison) is also in the area. It is comparably priced -- right now. However, because it is near Savannah (DT), it will be $200/night (easily) within a couple of weeks. Try to book as early as possible.


MMosquito, you say the new Comfort Inn is ok. What does that mean is it clean? Also you say Hilton Gardens and Doubletree are in that area. What area are you referring? Bay Street area? I will call there as soon as you reply wit the location. Thanks for all your help.

  • blue hair
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment